Thursday, June 12, 2014

Eating for {My} Body

Eating has been a huge struggle for me lately. And because of that, everything else has been a struggle too.

Since Austin, I've been obsessed with researching diet lifestyles from high-protein / low carb, gluten-free, paleo, Autoimmune Protocol which is a more in-depth version of paleo, and the Wahls Protocol (which is really, really specific). I've talked to multiple nutritional coaches, listened to diet webinars, TEDx talks, done experimental diet/exercise programs, and have tried each of these programs. I've learned what works for others but none of them meet my specific needs.

There are diets for endurance athletes, for those with autoimmune diseases, gluten intolerances and food allergies. But not one of them incorporates all of these - which I am. There's so much information (and a lot of it is contradicting) that it boggles my mind and makes me feel like I'm not good enough and that I'll never be good enough. I've been searching for the perfect dietary lifestyle so much to the point that I've lost confidence and faith in myself.

When I feel little confidence, I feel little control.

I've consistently been gluten free for about two months and will never go back to eating a standard American diet. It makes me feel so much better inside and so much better about myself. However, when I did the 21-day fix, it stirred up a lot bad habits. I went from being gluten-free and confidently eating what my body needed in order to perform its best throughout the day (including 10+ miles of exercise) to feeling like I was spiraling out of control. I had been comfortable with my eating and exercise habits, yet I signed up for a program that wanted to control what I ate, how much I ate and how much I exercised in order to lose weight. Yet, that's not what I wanted. What I had been doing was already working. So why did I sign up for it? In hopes that I could take it one step further and continue feeling better, having more energy, and maybe lose weight in the process.

Since then I've been trying to get a grip on the progress that I've lost.

Not being committed to a certain lifestyle has been detrimental to me. For the last three weeks it's a miracle if I don't take a nap by 8:45pm. That's not normal for a healthy 25-year old. Running 10 miles used to be fairly easy, but lately it's a miracle if I can get to one mile without stopping to walk.

On top of being tired, the last week has been an eating and weight disaster. Being so tired has led to unhealthy diet choices, which led to lack of self-confidence, which leaves me crashing in a wave of mental and emotional storms.

I've been trying to think back to Rick Warren's Daniel Plan sermons which talk about how we need to care for our bodies because they are God's temple. I need to get back to the place where I'm eat peace with eating, not stressed by it.  

So how am I going to get back to the place I was nearly four weeks ago? I wrote down my daily goals and will post in various places as a reminder of where I need to be and how to get there.




I'm going back to the foundation of what's best for MY body. First and foremost, I have to remain faithful in prayer. I need to pray for encouragement in the (mentally, emotionally, physically) hard times, I need to pray with a thankful heart for all I've been given and the opportunities that I've had/have. I need to pray for self control in all aspects, to pray that the Lord reveals His love, grace and plan for my life so that I may be a disciple for His goodness. Next, marathon training starts next week and I NEED to properly fuel, refuel and recover in order to prepare my body for the race. After that I need to ensure I have enough energy on rest days.

I'm glad I've read so many accounts of how various diets work for certain people, but I have to remember that their needs aren't mine. Every body is different. What works for them may not work for me. I'd love to incorporate what I've learned from my research in to my daily diet, but I don't have to follow it exactly because my needs are my own.

Ultimately I have to live in my body. No one else does. No one else has to feel what I feel when I'm too tired to put my dishes away, or too tired to move from the couch to my bed to go to sleep for the night. I need to make my well being first and foremost on the priority list because everything else is a struggle if I don't.


Let's chat!

  • Have you ever tried a highly-recommended diet/lifestyle change that didn't work for you?
  • What do you do that's best for your body every day?

5 comments:

  1. I *really* can relate to this post! I followed a vegan diet (I wasn't always strict about it - I'd have moments of very strict and then moments of utter defeat) for many years, and just realized this past January that, while I know it is healthy, ultimately it wasn't working for me because I wouldn't stick to it. Now I am trying to just be more balanced in my food choices and trying to figure out what my body likes and doesn't like. It's sort of refreshing to not have so many rigid rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is TOTALLY me too! I'm one extreme of healthiness or the opposite extreme of binge eating on sugar for straight weeks. Over the recent weeks I've tried to slowly lower my sugar intake, but that's when the spiraling began, so we'll see what happens from here. But after writing this post I genuinely feel peace about where I am and where I'm going, so I hope it's all up from here!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on programs that are too controlling. I don't like it. Especially since I a at type A person....I can take things too far. Giving my body what it seems to want without worrying to much about it works best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely! Programs are good for guidance but for some people, it brings on a whole new set of problems!

      Delete
  3. For for my body I've found it works best with out too much bread and dairy products. Even as a baby, my mom had to give me soy milk. Now, I do almond milk. It works better!
    will be praying for you that you can find what works for you and your body. It can be so difficult with all that's out there these days. I also had trouble with 21 Day Fix. It's just too precise for me. I think I like a little more control too.

    ReplyDelete