Thursday, March 19, 2015

Running in Mexico

Being a teacher has perks. It's called Spring Break (plus Christmas break, Thanksgiving break, and summer break).

This year for spring break the hubs and I decided to venture to Mexico! Neither of us had been there before and I couldn't turn down the chance of recalling my old high school Spanish knowledge (ahem, Spanish III award winner here. Not to brag.) and communicate with the locals!

The best way to see a new place is by walking, but I prefer to run. So the hubs and I had big plans of running around the resort area every (or almost every) day. Turns out our resort was built on the side of a mountain, complete with SUPER steep hills and 
stairs upon 
          stairs upon 
                    stairs.

This was the amazing view from our room. But you can see how steep the hill was, and just imagine all the stairs it took to walk down to the buildings in front of us.



Like literally, day one I had to walk up the hills backwards because my legs were on fire.



We joked that the resort wasn't MDA compliant -- like ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant in the US. It was a reminder that we weren't in the States.

So seeing that my 11-miler run wasn't going to happen on stairs or hills that shot straight to Heaven, I reluctantly went into the gym to find a treadmill. The gym was inside a spa. That's right, a spa. A spa that was at least 80 degrees with no air circulation. (I found out that because of the hurricane that hit Cabo in September, a lot of businesses didn't have air conditioning.)

For some reason, running literally hadn't been so hard since I started running almost 5 years ago. But with a view like this, I wasn't trying to rush through my workout.



I struggled to run a .25 miles without stopping, but I pushed through and eventually ran .5 without stopping, then 1.0 without stopping.

Although the day I was the top calorie burner on that treadmill was a pretty sweet feeling :)



I loved Mexico, but I was ready to get back home to run back on the flatlands of Texas :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment