Friday, August 9, 2013

For the second time ever! And I gave up.

For the second time ever!
For the second time ever, someone I didn't know (well, we work across the hall from each other, but I've only seen her a few times and don't even know her name) came up to me and told me I was skinny. I wanted to cry, hug them, and celebrate with a huge bowl of ice cream all at one time! 

This is such an amazing feeling because I've always struggled with my weight. I've NEVER thought of myself as "skinny." Even when I was at my lowest weight, I thought, "I don't look as fat as I usually do." I wouldn't give myself the much-deserved credit and call myself "skinny."

Starting about 4th grade, I realized that I was chunkier than other kids my age. And I found out in a very painful way. I was in gymnastics and learning to do a flip-flop when two girls came up behind me and started talking to each other about how I'd never learn to do a flip-flop because I was too fat. My heart broke. I was so ashamed of myself and never went back to gymnastics, even though I loved it. Later that year in our PE class, our coach weighed everyone. One of the SAME girls from gymnastics was waiting in line behind me and when I stepped on the scale, she announced to the rest of my class, "OH MY GOSH! KRISTEN WEIGHS XXX( I can't remember what number was) POUNDS!" Again, I was devastated. To make it worse, when we were in high school, we were talking and joking one day and I asked if she remembered calling me fat and announcing my weight to everyone and her reply, as she was laughing, was "Yes! Well, you shouldn't have weighed so much!!" She pretty much opened the wound right back up.

Ever since those days in intermediate school, I've thought I was fat. I have countless stories, but now I have TWO stories of when people told me I was skinny. My heart is so happy! It encourages me to continue my progress of eating clean, running, and trying to better myself and my thinking.

I Gave Up
Now to switch gears, I tried celery for the first time. That's right. At 24 years and 11 months old, I tried celery for the first time. I was so excited about my prospective new favorite snack I even took a picture!

I put a light spread of peanut butter on each piece and jumped right in!

I should have known it was a bad omen when I couldn't get the celery out of my teeth after my first bite. I drudged through the first piece but  halfway through the second, I gave up. I scraped up the peanut butter and threw the celery away. There was no way I was going to waste precious peanut butter!

Eating celery is not for me. Maybe I'll like it when it's blended and covered in frozen strawberries when I make a shake, but it's not good in the solid form.




Do you like celery?
If so, how do you eat it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen,

    Thanks for following my blog, was reading yours and have enjoyed reading your stories (Congrats on your running!, as much as I love running, long miles are not what I can do, for my knees do not agree lol Keep it up!) Felt that I should comment on this one post. I find this so sad that you had to go through these things while going to school, especially since we both attended the same one. Just wanted to say that I'm so glad that you have turn things around and made a negative thing into something positive. Haven't been around you all that much but I do have to say your are beautiful person inside and out. Keep pushing on...God is doing great things in your life! :)

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope everything is well with you!

      Kristen

      Delete