Tuesday, July 8, 2014

#HowINourish: 20 Days of Nourishment

My sweet friend Tiffany had a great idea and created 20 Days of Nourishment, a fun and personal challenge where you take note of how you're nourishing your mind, body and spirit. A lot of challenges focus on the body, or they focus on the mind, but I've never really seen a challenge where you focus on all three!

So today is day 1 of the #HowINourish challenge and it's already bringing out all the extra junk that's in my life. From food to the internet to music to my thoughts, there's  a lot of junk in my life.

In the challenge, you "write down what you fed your body, mind, and spirit today. Give each item or group of items a score on the Nourishment Scale. Add up your total score for the day and share it with #HowINourish." Here's the graph she created to log items:


What's different about this chart from others I've seen, other than the categories, is that when you record items (food, actions, etc.) you choose a nourishment number rather than recording calories, points or another number. This allows you to see how nourishing it is for you - not necessarily how healthy it is, but how beneficial it is. I love this because it corresponds with one of my favorite verses:


So this way of tracking items helps your realize where your effort is being spent (in your mind, body and spirit) and how beneficial it is to your life.

I love this because so many times I've counted calories or Weight Watchers points and only felt guilty or paranoid about needing to be better. I needed to eat less calories, I needed to eat less points, etc. This way of tracking helps me acknowledge what I'm doing, good and bad, and how beneficial it is. 

I pray that keeping track of my body, mind and spirit's nourishment over the next 20 days helps me work on a few internal issues I've been dealing with lately. Hopefully my daily totals will continue to get higher each day as the challenge continues! I'm shooting for consistent 7s (representing the most nourishment) in all categories, although today I've already had a few 0s :)

I'll be blogging throughout the challenge to keep you updated on my progress and I'd love for you to join me!


Let's chat!
- What's your favorite way to nourish your mind, body and/or spirit?
- Do you track calories, points, food intake, etc.? Does it work for you?


2 comments:

  1. I'm joining Tiffany too!

    I don't really track anything. I've learned a lot about micronutrients and what works well for my body and [most of the time] that's how I eat.

    ReplyDelete